Saturday, June 16, 2007

Talk of the Town: "Rodeo regulations ensure animals' welfare"

Katie Hill defends her sport against Phyllis Meyers' May 31 LTE (which I'd love to link in, but with the advent of the new Courier free site all the old links are dead). Shorter: We have all these rules we follow and we love our animals, so everything is OK, really.

My sister's a horsewoman and I understand the insider viewpoint. I also understand the viewpoint from outside the fence, which should not be dismissed as simply ignorant. That fence separates quite different values and the people involved are talking past one another, neither getting what the other is seeing at all.

This non-communication is important to Prescott in that the rodeo is such a big deal and taken for granted as such by its devotees and fans, ignoring the large and growing part of the population that finds it disgusting. I expect that there's eventually gonna be some trouble over this that the rodeo people won't see coming.

3 comments:

leftturnclyde said...

the Rodeo is gonna be a big target for the new larger ,more improved animal rights crowd here in Prescott ..get some popcorn and watch the fun!

Anonymous said...

I have never understood what people get out of rodeo, dog fighting, rooster fighting, dog racing, boxing and sport hunting. This is going to be a nice showdown, especially when PETA camps out near the rodeo grounds. I'd buy a ticket to that, jared

yes, i equated rodeo to cock fighting and dog fighting.

Granny J said...

Rodeo is not my thing either -- tho frankly I tire of people who loved our little western town enough to move here and now want to reform us into what they are running away from.